Tuesday

How I got Here

I have been asked a couple of questions why are you in Halifax? Are you pole vaulting? What is a Heptathlon?

Answers: Last year I had a nagging shoulder injury that blew up at nationals in July. I was left that summer wondering what was next, and where to go. I went on MANY MANY long runs (60mins for me is long) I thought about doing other events such as the hep. which is 7 events over two days. Now I have always enjoyed all the events in hep minus the 800m Barf! The events are 100 hurdles, high jump, shot putt, 200m (day one) and long jump, javelin, and 800m to finish day two! So I had many long talks and got the shoulder looked at. It seems there would be No upper body lifting for sometime. So I decided to move to Halifax with my boyfriend Geoff Harris 800m super star. Hope this would help my 800m :) The Canadian Sport Center Atlantic set me up with the right people to help me rehab my shoulder back. Although it still is not 100% better I can lift and throw with it. Swinging, which is key to vault is still iffy. Here I met my new coach Kevin Bourgeois multi event extraordinaire, willing to learn pole vault. We talked and decided we would train for multi events, worse case I will come back to vault a better athlete! So i started to plug away at all the events learn technique and new skills. Its fun because I have personal best at every meet, my learning curve is huge. I also love training hard and pushing my body to the max! With a Positive head on my shoulders I am hoping to qualify for this years Nationals in Calgary as a Heptathlete not a vaulter. This is bitter sweet, but this is how I have made the best out of an injury. Will I vault again?... I hope so but right now I have put in so much hard work, done the sickest workouts into doing a hep that I want to see what I can do!

So again please enjoy my blog keep the questions coming? And continue to follow my athletic career.
Thanks
Leanna

No comments:

Post a Comment